Thursday, September 2, 2010

CHAD VANGAALEN
http://vimeo.com/10392794

Artist . Musician . Whatever lies between. About as indie as you can get, Canadian artist Chad VanGaalen has not only contributed three records to multiple indie labels (including Flemish Eye and Sub Pop) with his own unique brand of soft spoken indie pop, but also has an anomalous style of artistic drawing highly influenced by the comic books and graphic novels he "lost his mind" to at a young age, VanGaalen learned to draw by copying page after page out of Robert Crumb comics. In an issue of ION magazine, Chad was quoted as explaining the reasons why he finds visual art somewhat more enjoyable than musical. "Visual art I've always liked just a lot more because I can work on it wherever I want. I also don't have to be plugged into anything. I'm getting into my alternative energy right now so I'm realizing how excessive my life is... so with the visual stuff it's nice just to have a bag of pens and paper... and at the end of the day you can just hang it on a wall and walk away from it... There's a presentation factor to music that's just really unappealing to me." Where the two worlds combine is in his music videos which he animates with all of his own artwork to create imaginary worlds of wonderment. Heavily dominated by the subconscious mind, his work is inspired by his own and his friends dreams and hallucinations, which becomes evident after viewing any one of his pulsating, trippy pieces of art.




No comments:

Post a Comment