Sunday, August 29, 2010

KEITH RICHARDS
THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY

If you're a massive Keith Richards fan than you must already know that the autobiography he has been writing is set to hit shelves this October, and I couldn't be more excited. The Rolling Stones guitarist was paid a reported $7 million by the publishing house Little Brown, proving just how in demand this autobiography is set to be despite his initial reluctance to start writing his memoirs due to feelings that no one would read it.
Richards says, "I'm waiting for some proofs to come back. It's kind of weird writing about your own life. Who'd be interested in that? But then I realized there is a lot of interest, so... talking to some of the people that were there and their version of events to try and correlate it all was very interesting, a kind of kaleidoscopic bunch of experiences."

Here's a loose page of the book I've obtained from Rolling Stone magazine:

   Right. The day we recorded "Let it Bleed." I remember it like it was bloody yesterday, man. Yesterday I had waffles. Wait -- scrambled eggs? What the hell did I have? It was breakfast, anyway. Delicious, man. Waffles. 
   Right. So yesterday. It was 1968. I was just a lad of 14. Growing up in London, learning to play the blues. Sailors would bring blues records over from the United States. I met Mick Jagger on the train to school from Dartford. He had some sailors under his arm. No, wait, he had blues records under his arm. We both had blues records, from the States, so we began talking and we decided to form a band. Mick and I wrote "Let It Bleed" on the train, and then we had breakfast.
   Pass the syrup mate. Fanks. 
   What was I talking about? Right. So that morning, Mick and I recorded "Goats Head Soup" at Chess Studios in Chicago. Muddy Waters was outside painting the stairs. He taught me to play in open D. Fucking genius. Then he started painting Mick.
   People put an "s" on their name for no reason, then can't remember why, it's mad. A few years there, Mick was Mick Jaggers. I never knew why. Sometimes Mick plays harmonica. See, he doesn't need all that celebrity bullocks. Not down deep. He's got Muddy Waters in his soul. And sailors under his arm. 
   So after breakfast, Mick and I walked around the desert in Joshua Tree, Looking for UFOs, tripping on mushrooms. We were beautiful, baby. The UFOs were scared of us. That was the day we wrote "Jumpin' Jack Flash." Always liked that one.

As you can see from the excerpt above, the writing's a little incoherent and the timeline keeps changing, but that's just how you now its Keith writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment